We all tend to eat too much of those foods (and drink too much) that make us feel tired, lethargic and often bloated at Christmas time. So I was looking for some different ways to detox and reset after the holidays.
My vice of choice this holiday period was actually red wine and Ferro Roche’s my all time favourite chocolate. But since I hardly eat any refined sugars anymore I found that eating excess sugar along with many less vegetables than usual over the Xmas period left me with a bad case of brain fog and a general lack of energy. It was time to get back to feeling great!
So in my searching I came across Activated Coconut Charcoal. Have you ever tried it? So what exactly is it and what is it used for?
It turns out activated charcoal is actually one of the worlds oldest detoxifying remedies.
Used in Chinese medicine, Ayurvedic medicine and more recently in western medicine, activated charcoal is an absorbing agent and so it binds to poisons & toxins in the gut carrying them out of your body. It’s able to do this as it’s a form of charcoal that is extremely porous made from wood, vegetables or commonly coconut.
It is able to catch and hold more than 100 times its own weight and so is a powerful supplement to use to eliminate toxins in the body that may have built up over a period of time such as Christmas when we are eating different foods that may not be optimal for body and brain function. The activated carbon is not absorbed by the body but is simply eliminated along with the toxins that have bound with it as it moves through your gut.
Activated charcoal can also be used as a teeth whitener although I must admit I haven’t tried that yet. Dave Asprey from the Bulletproof Executive takes it every time he eats at a restaurant to stop that tired feeling after you eat out. He also finds it can bring his kids (4 & 6 years old) back to normal if they seem to be tantruming after snacks out.
So when should you use it? These are some times you may want to give it a try:
- When you are looking to detox after consuming foods that don’t agree with you or eating out. Gut toxins can become brain toxins and so activated charcoal can help you eliminate these
- To help with digestive issues, bad breath & body odour
- Take it when drinking alcohol (could this be a hangover cure?) I don’t drink enough to test this one but let me know!
- To prevent jet lag
- In your daily supplement routine to help you feel your best as day to day we are consuming toxins we are not even aware of.
Also activated charcoal may have anti aging properties and so regular use can help slow the rate your brain becomes sensitive to toxins & can help the functioning of your liver, kidneys & adrenals.
So where do I buy it and how do I use it?
There are a number of places online you can buy capsules for detoxing. Try to take it between meals and don’t take it with any vitamin supplement or medications as it may interfere with these. Please consult your doctor before trying as everyone reacts differently to different supplement and use only as directed. Also just like the use of beet juice stains your urine, expect black stools after activated charcoal use. Just warning you 🙂
I would love to hear from you in the comments have you tried activated charcoal before and if so what was your experience with it? Do you have a favourite supplement you use to detox?
Want To Get Better Results, In Less Time With More Accountability?
Well to cut out the guess work I have put together a 7 day Clean Living Challenge to help keep you accountable and supported as you get started on your journey. This free 7 day program will help you:
- Learn how to recognize what foods work for you and what foods don’t
- Discover how to destress your body including tips for first time meditators
- Start feeling healthy & happy again with actionable strategies
- Get back into the kitchen with fast, healthy & tasty meal plans
- Progress towards food freedom. No more worrying about what to eat and when. No more willpower required.