Yep you read that right! Watch the video to find out what’s really going into some of your favorite protein bars!!
Prefer to read?
Well in this video I talk all about “natural flavors”. Lots of ingredient lists including protein bars include natural flavors. So what does natural flavors really mean?
This was one I wasn’t aware of for such a long time and it almost makes me sad as I read more and more information about what makes up a natural flavor. In the end as is my opinion after researching all these ingredients just stay away as much as possible from all processed foods, they are just not worth it.
Anyways back to natural flavors. I never really looked into what these were I just assumed that had to be better than artificial ones right? Well maybe, but not much better.
The issue with natural flavors is so confusing. But to simplify it, the natural flavors start out from a natural food, but then potentially get so processed that the chemical structure of the flavor you are eating is completely changed from how it started out in the natural food.
One of the issues with this is also amount. The amount of the flavor in a real apple is small so it rarely causes any issues but the amount of the flavor used in an apple flavored drink is so high it can cause a range of issues such as:
- headaches or migraines
- rashes (hives, eczema, dermatitis, other itchy rashes)
- stomach aches, bloating, reflux, constipation, bedwetting
- asthma, frequent cough, stuffy or runny nose
- frequent colds, flu, ear infections
- joint pains, swelling of the joints
- heart palpitations
- restlessness and sleep difficulties
- inattention, anxiety and depression
Food Scientist’s on a 60 Minutes special also spilled the beans on just what can be included as a natural flavor when they said “For example, strawberry and vanilla flavor can come from the gland in a beaver’s backside”. Are you eating beaver backside in your protein bar without even knowing it?
Want to know what Jamie Oliver had to say about eating beaver backside. Click Here.
Now If you liked this video I would love to hear from you so let me know what do you currently eat with natural flavors added in? Or do you have a favorite protein bar that you now need a replacement recipe for because it contains natural flavors? Let me know!
Want to also learn about some other ingredients commonly found in protein bars that you should avoid?
Sign up for my FREE special report on the 10 Common Protein Bar Ingredients that Could be Killing You!! So you can improve your own health and performance as well as the health of those around you!!
Want To Get Better Results, In Less Time With More Accountability?
Well to cut out the guess work I have put together a 7 day Clean Living Challenge to help keep you accountable and supported as you get started on your journey. This free 7 day program will help you:
- Learn how to recognize what foods work for you and what foods don’t
- Discover how to destress your body including tips for first time meditators
- Start feeling healthy & happy again with actionable strategies
- Get back into the kitchen with fast, healthy & tasty meal plans
- Progress towards food freedom. No more worrying about what to eat and when. No more willpower required.