Ice-cream protein bars are awesome! Not so great to take with you out for a mountain bike or hike but so delicious to have once you come back in from a run or home after a hard bike ride or gym workout. I made my first ice-cream protein bar by accident. Yep it was just a protein bar that wouldn’t set. So I coated it in homemade chocolate and put in the freezer. Soooo delicious. So I called it an ice-cream protein bar because you have to eat it frozen and have been making them ever since! This one is my date and walnut ice-cream protein bar but remember this trick for anytime you end up with a homemade protein bar that won’t set in the fridge.
This one is also an awesome recipe to help me keep eating healthy even when Im craving a sweet treat. Keep them in the freezer.
Date and Walnut Ice Cream Protein Bar
The recipe for this protein bar kind of happened by accident. The consistency didn’t turn out how I wanted however it was so delicious eaten right out of the freezer I had to share the recipe with you. So yummy to have as a healthy option when you really crave a chocolate covered ice-cream bar.
- 60g medjool dates
- 60g walnuts
- 20g vanilla whey protein powder (you can use strawberry or chocolate as well to mix up the flavors of this bar)
- 1/8 cup water or a nut milk
- Dark chocolate for coating
- Add all the ingredients except the chocolate into a food processor and mix well until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking tray and put into the freezer for about an hour.
- Once the mix is hard, cut into portions and keep in the freezer again while you melt your chocolate (or make your own!)
- Coat the bars in chocolate and keep these ones in the freezer. Eat directly from the freezer when you want an ice cream bar snack. They don’t freeze too hard so you can always enjoy without the need to defrost them 🙂 These are super yummy I love keeping some in my freezer.
Each 60g bar made from this mix has approximately 220 calories, 10g protein, 28g carbohydrate, 3g fiber and 6g fat. Remember these are approximate values only, using homemade chocolate. Different ingredients and protein powders will change these values.
Want To Get Better Results, In Less Time With More Accountability?
Well to cut out the guess work I have put together a 7 day Clean Living Challenge to help keep you accountable and supported as you get started on your journey. This free 7 day program will help you:
- Learn how to recognize what foods work for you and what foods don’t
- Discover how to destress your body including tips for first time meditators
- Start feeling healthy & happy again with actionable strategies
- Get back into the kitchen with fast, healthy & tasty meal plans
- Progress towards food freedom. No more worrying about what to eat and when. No more willpower required.