Dates are such an awesome alternative sweetener that are high in fibre and full of vitamins and minerals as well as being super sweet & tasty. They are also such a great texture to make all sorts of awesome healthy snack foods.
Dates grow on date palms, which are known in the Middle East as the tree of life. And for good reason!
They are easy for your body to digest and high in dietary fibre. They are also high in iron and potassium which both have numerous health benefits. As well as B vitamins, Vitamins A & K, antioxidants, copper, magnesium and manganese.
Dates can help keep your skin and your heart healthy and are known for their unique preventative and healing functions.
They are also great in easy recipes for kids as they taste sweet and delicious as if they were a dessert but with a much better nutritional profile.
And they are awesome for boosting energy!
So try a couple of dates with some almonds or walnuts instead of that coffee when the afternoon slump hits. They will wake you up but will also keep you feeling satisfied and less likely to hit up the cookie jar due to their super high nutritional value.
Some additional health benefits include:
- Bone health and strength – the minerals in dates are great for your bones!
- Nervous system health
- Laxative effect – soak dates over night if suffering from constipation as they have a beneficial laxative effect especially when soaked due to high levels of fibre
- Help with allergy symptoms due to natural organic sulphur content.
- Can help with irritable bowel issues, constipation or diarrhoea
- Being a great substitute for sugar when trying to cut back or restrict sugar intake as their high fibre content can help curb cravings.
So what are some ways that you can add dates into your day or into your child’s lunch box?
One of my favourite super simple recipes is these yummy coconut date bliss balls! Only 4 ingredients and a favourite with kids and adults these can be made in 10 minutes (or maybe a little longer if you get your kids involved).
- 135g – Medjool dates (these are my favourite type of dates, so yummy and soft)
- 60g – Rolled oats
- 10g – Raw cacao powder
- Desiccated coconut to roll the bliss balls in
These are super easy! Just add all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until they are a good consistency to be able to roll into balls. Roll in the coconut and that’s all there is to them!
This makes a 215g mixture. You can also add a whole bunch of other different things into the mix. I love to use some nuts instead of rolled oats sometimes (might not be school friendly) and I also love to throw some goji berries into the food processor too!
Want To Get Better Results, In Less Time With More Accountability?
Well to cut out the guess work I have put together a 7 day Clean Living Challenge to help keep you accountable and supported as you get started on your journey. This free 7 day program will help you:
- Learn how to recognize what foods work for you and what foods don’t
- Discover how to destress your body including tips for first time meditators
- Start feeling healthy & happy again with actionable strategies
- Get back into the kitchen with fast, healthy & tasty meal plans
- Progress towards food freedom. No more worrying about what to eat and when. No more willpower required.