Do you love Quest Bars? They are super popular and the texture of them make them great to take out on a hike or a bike ride. But the homemade ones are so easy to make, a lot cheaper and taste so much better! You can also make them exactly how you like. Without any artificial sweeteners and all the flavors you like.
Here I make what must be the easiest quest bar recipe – Chocolate.
The ingredient in all Quest Bars that you might not have heard of is isomalto-oligosaccharides (IMO). This is a prebiotic fiber that you can buy in a liquid or powder form to add to your own homemade quest bars to give them the quest bar texture. Its about 60% if the sweetness of sucrose and is essentially just a liquid carbohydrate completely devoid of vitamins, minerals, fats and proteins that goes straight through you. A “digestion resistant carb”. Now I must admit that I like to make my protein bars with whole food ingredients where possible. Mainly because I think they taste so much better. But I also do like to experiment with what I can do with IMO as I love the texture it creates. It is also extremely high in fiber and low in sugar but still tastes sweet.
So here is how you make a homemade chocolate Quest Bar:
*30g IMO (3 teaspoons)
25g Vanilla or Chocolate Vegan Protein Powder
5g Raw Cacao (1 teaspoon)
* If your using a whey protein powder then add 40g of IMO as the whey protein powder absorbs up the IMO more than the vegan protein powders and will leave your bars too dry. You wont be able to mold the mixture to form a bar.
- Add your IMO to a saucepan and start to heat it up on med to high heat
- Wait until boiling then quickly take it off the heat and add in the protein powder & cacao powder.
- Mix all the ingredients together well until it becomes firm enough to mold into a bar shape.
- Mold into shape and then put into the fridge to cool.
- Take them out after an hour or so once they become a quest bar consistency and enjoy!
You need to heat the IMO for it to then cool and become the chewy texture of a Quest Bar and the flavor combinations are endless. You need to make sure however that you add a little more IMO if you are working with whey protein powder compared to a pea protein or a vegan protein blend.
Some other flavors I have tried out include, apple pie, chocolate chip, lemon, berry blast and banana nut.
Do you have a flavor combination you would like to see me try?
Include it in the comments below and I’ll try to make sure to include it in another video! It’s much easier than trying out different combinations yourself. Check out one of my first attempts to make a strawberry banana Quest Bar below 🙁
Want To Get Better Results, In Less Time With More Accountability?
Well to cut out the guess work I have put together a 7 day Clean Living Challenge to help keep you accountable and supported as you get started on your journey. This free 7 day program will help you:
- Learn how to recognize what foods work for you and what foods don’t
- Discover how to destress your body including tips for first time meditators
- Start feeling healthy & happy again with actionable strategies
- Get back into the kitchen with fast, healthy & tasty meal plans
- Progress towards food freedom. No more worrying about what to eat and when. No more willpower required.