Want to Learn my Natural Energy Boosters to Skyrocket Energy?
How would you rate your energy levels?
Do you ever wake up tired even though you have had a full 8 hours of sleep?
Are you energetic at the start of the day but get a serious slump at 3pm each day?
The amount of energy you have throughout the day can have such a profound impact on your life. There is nothing worse than dragging yourself through the day feeling fatigued. So I wanted to go through three natural health boosters you might not have ever thought of to really skyrocket your energy levels. This way you will be able to get the most out of your day and your life!
We live in a world of thinking once we have something, then we will be happy. For example, once we get that promotion, once we lose the weight, once we get to a certain point in our lives then we will be happy. We are brought up to think like this, thought this way in schools and then carry this belief with us into adulthood.
But what if it’s actually the other way round. You need to get happy or positive first and then this will actually help us achieve all that we want. Shawn Achor, Harvard Professor says “your brain works 31% better at positive than negative, neutral or stress”. He goes on to say that when your brain is positive you actually experience more energy, more productivity and are more creative. Watch his awesome Ted Talk on the video below!
Ok so being positive is one of the most natural energy boosters but that’s easier said than done right? How do we stay positive with looming deadlines, screaming children or just our everyday busy stressful life?
Well there are some super easy things that we can do every day that have been proven to create more positivity in your life. Think of them as training for your brain, like we train our bodies. They don’t take much time either. Try just one of these strategies this week and see if you notice the difference in not only your outlook but also your energy levels!
- Gratitude – when you wake up in the morning or before you go to bed write down three things you are grateful for. This has been shown to start to retrain your brain to look for the positive things in your day instead of focusing on the negative. We can all find three things to be grateful for even if they seem like little things they are retraining your brain! Be grateful for the sunshine, your legs for letting you walk to work and around the office, the delicious coffee you had this morning or the smile a stranger gave you as you entered the elevator.
- Exercise – Exercise is totally a natural energy boosters! This one will be easier as your energy levels start to improve but even just 7 minutes of exercise 3 times a week will start to improve your energy levels and help train your brain to recognise that your behaviour matters. There are lots of different 7 minute workout apps or programs online you can follow to get a high intensity workout in to your day with even the tightest of schedules. Or see if you can get in a walk in the morning or evening, or get off your bus a stop earlier on the way home and try and take the stairs whenever there is an opportunity.
- Journaling- Try journaling by writing down just one positive experience you have had throughout the day. This allows your brain to relive the positive experience. Journaling has also been found to improve creativity and can be a great tool to use to relieve stress.
- Meditation – Meditation has so many health benefits that taking the time to do even just 5-10 minutes of meditation per day is totally worth it. We live in such a fast paced environment of multi-tasking; mediation helps teach your brain how to focus. This one has been a hard one for me and it may be for you too. I have read extensively about the benefits of meditation and yet find it difficult to prioritize the time to do a daily practice. However using technology to help me create the new habit has been super helpful for me. I use the app headspace to be able to use guided meditations to get me started. They have a 10 minute 10 day free program that is super easy to use to get you going. Give it a try and see how you feel after 10 days.
- Random Acts of Kindness – I love this one. Not only is this making you feel more positive but you are making someone else’s day as well. This doesn’t have to be big, send a positive email to someone out of the blue thanking them for being in your support network or for the work they do every day. Grab someone a coffee they weren’t expecting when you run out for your morning cup of joe or simply give someone a compliment.
Heal Your Gut
More and more studies are showing how the health of your gut and more specifically your gut microbiome actually can affect all aspects of your life. Now this topic is its own article, which I will write at a later stage but here I’ll run through why this is so important for your energy levels!
Your body is actually made up of more bacteria than human cells. Yep we are out numbered about 10 to 1 to this complex ecosystem of bacteria as well as fungi, viruses and protozoa and this can be referred to as our microbiome.
The composition of this bacteria in your gut can have a massive influence on your health so you want to make sure there are enough good bacteria in there to balance out any bad bacteria. Stress, environmental toxins and maybe most importantly the food we eat has a major influence of our gut microbiome. Now this is important for so many reasons most importantly 80% of your immune system is located in your gut. So gut health has a major influence on the functioning of your immune system.
The health of your gut is also closely linked to your mood and energy levels. Improving your gut health has been shown to have numerous effects on brain and neurological function which can improve outlook & energy. So one of the best natural health boosters is healing your gut! Did you know that serotonin, a chemical that makes you happy actually has its highest concentrations in the gut?
Ok so we get that this is important! What can you do to improve the composition of this microbiome?
- Try Fermented Foods – Such as sauerkraut, kefir, miso and pickled vegetables which are full of probiotics or good bacteria. These foods replace the bad bacteria in your gut improving the composition of your microbiome.
- Reduce Sugar & Eat Real Food – Sugar & highly processed foods provide food for the unhealthy bacteria in your gut. Eating more real foods, especially plant foods high in fiber help feed the good bacteria.
- Sleep More Stress Less – Your gut is super sensitive to the presence of stress. It has actually been shown that stress can affect the physiological function of the gut and the composition of your microbiome. Try yoga or meditation or some of the tips to get more positive in the first section of this article
Drink Lots of Water
Did you know that even mild dehydration can have an effect on your energy levels? You might not even feel thirsty yet. Water is actually one of the most natural energy boosters! Dehydration can also affect your mood and your ability to think clearly as well as make you feel hungry. Make sure you always have a drink bottle handy so you can drink water throughout the day. This is much more beneficial than taking in a whole litre at once.
So how much water should we be drinking? This seems to depend on a whole range of factors such as where you live and how much you exercise. If you are in a hot climate doing physical activity it makes sense that you will need more water than someone in a cold climate who works inside. It also depends on your size. Generally you should try and drink at least half an ounce to an ounce of water for every pound you weigh every day. However you will need to experiment with that and see what works for you. Just make sure you have water available for when you’re thirsty and try to make sure you continue to drink water throughout the day.
Think there are some strategies here that you could implement today?
Let me know in the comments below, what’s one of the natural energy boosters that you are going to implement today?
If one thing you think you may be able to implement is adding more real food to your diet.
Check out my homemade energy bar starter kit.
It’s full of super easy recipes to get you started making Real Food energy bars that you can use as a snack or take with you on a hike or bike ride.