Winter doesn’t have to be the time you hibernate on the couch. Actually performing your regular workout in the outdoors in winter can help super charge the calories you normally burn. Just shivering burns about 400 calories an hour! Extra motivation to keep working out, even though it’s cold outside.
10 Best Winter Workouts
There are also lots of awesome workouts that burn serious calories that can only be done in winter. Check out our favorite 10 Winter Workouts.
- Snowshoeing – Snowshoeing is a great way to keep hiking all through the winter. Enjoy fresh air and beautiful views while burning up to 550 calories an hour. Great for working your legs and those abs!
- Skate Skiing – Want a fun cardio workout that can burn up to 700 calories an hour? Try skate skiing. Think cross-country skiing crossed with ice-skating. Skate skiing uses side to side gliding motions like ice-skating but on the cross-country ski trail using skate skis. Feel the burn in your butt and thighs!
- Downhill Skiing & Snowboarding – A favorite in winter downhill skiing and snowboarding is actually a great workout as well. Burning around 400 calories, your butt, thighs, abs and calves will all feel it after a day out on the slopes.
- Ice Climbing – Want to try something different this winter? Check out ice climbing. Give it a try while burning 600 calories per hour and get a total body workout. This one will work you arms, abs and legs. This rock climbing on a wall of ice.
- Ice Skating – Even recreational skating can burn up to 475 calories an hour and is a great thigh and calf workout. Dust off those skates and get back out on the ice.
- Cross Country Skiing – Great for shoulders and arms as well as your butt and thighs, getting out on your cross country skiing can burn around 500 calories per hour.
- Tobogganing / Sledding – One for the whole family to enjoy tobogganing can actually be an awesome workout. Climbing the hills with your toboggan before sliding back down can burn over 400 calories per hour. Work your thighs, calves & butt.
- Snowmobiling – You might not realize but even getting out on your snowmobile can burn around 150 extra calories per hour. Take a tour through the snow and enjoy the view.
- Ice Hockey – A favorite in winter ice hockey is a great full body workout. Feel it in your abs, arms, thighs and calves. All while burning 550 calories per hour.
- Fat biking – Thought your biking season was over? Want to really burn some serious calories? Try fat biking and burn up to 1500 calories per hour! A super workout for your legs but also your abs and arms biking in the snow is also so much fun!
Don’t forget to take your homemade energy food out with you! Need some additional recipes?
Sign up below for some super simple energy bar recipes you can make today! Including some with less than 4 ingredients!
Want To Get Better Results, In Less Time With More Accountability?
Well to cut out the guess work I have put together a 7 day Clean Living Challenge to help keep you accountable and supported as you get started on your journey. This free 7 day program will help you:
- Learn how to recognize what foods work for you and what foods don’t
- Discover how to destress your body including tips for first time meditators
- Start feeling healthy & happy again with actionable strategies
- Get back into the kitchen with fast, healthy & tasty meal plans
- Progress towards food freedom. No more worrying about what to eat and when. No more willpower required.