Cranberries, just like blueberries are actually a super healthy fruit. However watch out as like many other dried fruit you want to make sure you are buying the unsweetened variety. Check those ingredients lists!
Although cranberries can be eaten raw, the are often dried or consumed as a juice. Again check your ingredients lists however for added sugars or artificial sweeteners. Unsweetened dried cranberries can also be a great afternoon snack or to take hiking/biking and the juice can be a great for preventing & helping with urinary tract infections. Cranberries contain A-type proanthocyanidins, a unique phytonutrient that keeps E.coli from sticking into the linings of the urinary tract and the bladder.
The shelf life of the fruit can be extended by drying them. Unsweetened dried cranberries are then used as an ingredient in baked goods such as some breads and cookies. It can be part of the trail mix or eaten on its own as a snack. Unsweetened dried cranberries can be used in many things, even protein balls (my personal favorite use along with maybe overnight oats). More on this soon.
Dried Cranberry Nutrition
Unsweetened dried cranberries have traces of iron, potassium and Vitamin C. They are also high in Vitamin E, an antioxidant that fights off the free radicals that can cause cell damage. They also contain fibre. Try not to overdo dried cranberries though. A smaller amount goes a long way.
Fun Fact: Do you know that cranberries are also called bounceberries? That’s because a good and ripe cranberry can bounce.
Here’s a healthy and delicious dried cranberry recipe that you can try at home.
Cranberry Coconut Protein Ball Recipe
- 70g medjool dates
- 25g protein powder (1 scoop)
- 15g coconut flour
- 20g dried cranberries
- Add all the ingredients together into a food processor and blend.
- Scoop out the mixture once it is really nice and smooth and well-combined.
- Separate into four balls.
- Put into the fridge to set for at least half an hour.
Want To Get Better Results, In Less Time With More Accountability?
Well to cut out the guess work I have put together a 7 day Clean Living Challenge to help keep you accountable and supported as you get started on your journey. This free 7 day program will help you:
- Learn how to recognize what foods work for you and what foods don’t
- Discover how to destress your body including tips for first time meditators
- Start feeling healthy & happy again with actionable strategies
- Get back into the kitchen with fast, healthy & tasty meal plans
- Progress towards food freedom. No more worrying about what to eat and when. No more willpower required.