The cost of energy chews can really add up, especially if your training for a big race or doing regular endurance workouts. So I started making my own. I love that I can customise them depending on what workout or training I’m doing and can make them my favorite flavors. In the video below today I’m making Orange & Lemon Energy Chews.
This recipe is super easy! Just take the following:
- 1/2 Cup Orange & Lemon Juice
- 75g Brown Rice Syrup
- 15g Gelatine (1.5 tablespoons)
Add them all together into a small saucepan and heat them on medium to high heat. Let the mixture boil for 1-2 minutes while stirring and then take it off the heat. Pour the mix into a mould or like me use a silicon baking tray and then cut into cubes once set. Leave in the fridge for 1-2 hours or until the mix becomes solid. Cut into portions and your ready to go!
So what is gelatine and why do we use it in our homemade chews?
Well we use gelatin to give the chew its consistency but gelatine actually has a range of health benefits. So much so that its even included by some vegetarians as a source of protein in their diet. That’s because gelatin is made from all the bits of the cow that aren’t otherwise usually used. Basically it’s dehydrated bone broth powder made up of bones, cartilage, collagen and minerals and has some great health benefits similar to those of the ever more and more popular bone broth. Don’t have time to make bone broth, gelatine doesn’t really have a taste and so can be added to hot drinks and taken that way. Traditional diets were very high in gelatin as people regularly ate bones & cartilage with their meat.
- Support skin, hair and nail growth
- Is great for you joints and can help improve cellulite
- Can improve digestion and is a great source of dietary collagen
- Is a source of protein
Not all gelatin is created equal however so try and go for a grass fed or organic brand such as this one.
Let me know in the comments below if you have a favorite way to use gelatin or if you have started making bone broth. I would also love to hear how you went with the recipe!
Want To Get Better Results, In Less Time With More Accountability?
Well to cut out the guess work I have put together a 7 day Clean Living Challenge to help keep you accountable and supported as you get started on your journey. This free 7 day program will help you:
- Learn how to recognize what foods work for you and what foods don’t
- Discover how to destress your body including tips for first time meditators
- Start feeling healthy & happy again with actionable strategies
- Get back into the kitchen with fast, healthy & tasty meal plans
- Progress towards food freedom. No more worrying about what to eat and when. No more willpower required.