Ever asked yourself ‘how can I improve my work performance?” Well in this article we talk about the top 3 ways to improve work performance in 7 days.
I’m a health coach, and a couple of months back now I let my business take over everything.
Do you know what I mean?
In one way it was awesome I was getting to work on projects that I loved and with clients who were getting some amazing results but exercise, yoga and meditation had pretty much fallen off the schedule and although I still ate pretty well, I started to drink coffee again and wasn’t sleeping as much as I recommend to my clients! My biz took over my schedule.
And to be honest I realized that I wasn’t really focusing as well as usual, I wasn’t waking up feeling as energized and I was getting kinda stressed out, feeling pretty anxious way too often.
Can you relate?
Luckily for me I realized that I wasn’t actually helping my biz at all feeling like this and had a whole range of tools that I could use to get myself back on track. And so I wanted to share with you 3 simple tips to get you back on track if you have been pushing your health to the side to focus on your career or business.
Why Looking After Your Health Is A Business Activity
When asked what his number one tip for increasing productivity was, Richard Branson answered “exercise”. Tony Robbins also accredits staying fit and healthy to his success. In order to show up each day in your business or busy career you need to be able to be performing at your best which means looking after your body and mind.
According to research from the Health Enhancement Research Organization, employees who ate healthy foods all day long were 25% more likely to have higher job performance. Those who ate 5 servings of fruit & veggies 4 times a week were 20% more productive, and those who ate healthily and regularly exercised were absent from work 27% less and performed 11% better at their jobs.
Who wouldn’t like 20% more productivity?
Research done at the USC Center for Effective Organizations found that:
“82% of business leaders aren’t working at their ideal energy levels. 61% felt they were working below their best energy level, when you’re working below your ideal energy level, you start to avoid challenges. As a result, you get bored and your energy drops even more. (Ironically, the study found this problem more common in higher-level executives, such as CEOs.)”
Want more energy?
Higher levels of productivity?
Want to feel healthier and more confident?
Then let’s get right into it. The top 3 ways to improve work performance…
Top 3 Ways To Improve Work Performance & Health In 7 Days
The first of the top 3 ways to improve work performance. Schedule. Schedule everything. It only takes a few minutes on a Sunday night to schedule out the next week and put in your health activities as non-negotiables. So schedule in time for a walk or to go to the gym as well as time for you so to meet with family or friends and other fun time. Schedule in grocery shopping or the time to order some groceries online as well as meal prep time. Schedule in everything. I once heard Natalie Sisson (The Suitcase Entrepreneur) say that discipline actually results in more freedom and it always stuck with me because it is absolutely true.
If it’s not in the schedule it often doesn’t get done so use your paper diary or an online calendar like google calendars to plan out your week. You most likely know what you need to do, you just don’t have time to do it, so I challenge you to schedule in your health and fitness activities first for the next 7 days. (If your not sure where to start or what you should be scheduling in then Click HERE to book in for a 15 minute call with me where we can set up a plan to help you get started).
2. Track Your Progress
The second tip of the top 3 ways to improve work performance is to track your progress.
What you focus on grows or improves. So focusing on your health goals by tracking your progress can be really powerful. This actually works for all aspects of your life whether you are tracking your finances or your business growth or your budget. Whenever I want to really improve my fitness or my diet I always start with tracking what I eat, how I’m moving, have I done meditation or yoga that day and how I feel. (Download my simple one page tracker HERE). It’s amazing how much tracking brings awareness to what you are currently doing and where you might need to make some changes.
The final of the top 3 ways to improve work performance.
This one is huge for me. Have you read Gretchen Rubin’s book ‘Better than Before’ about habit development? Well she writes that in order to make or break a habit we first have to figure out how we respond to expectations. Because when we are trying to form a new habit, such as a new way of eating or a new exercise regime, we are setting an expectation for ourselves. She groups people into one of four categories (Take the quiz HERE).
- Upholders respond readily to outer and inner expectations
- Questioners question all expectations; they’ll meet an expectation if they think it makes sense; essentially, they make all expectations into inner expectations
- Rebels resist all expectations, outer and inner alike
- Obligers meet outer expectations, but struggle to meet expectations they impose on themselves
I am an Obliger for sure.
No one really wants to be an obliger when they take that quiz but understanding what you need to meet your goals or make new habits can be super helpful in finally making lifelong changes. And you want to be developing sustainable lifestyle habits so that you can take willpower out of the equation!
So unless you are a “rebel” some sort of external accountability can really help you get on track. This could be a friend, or a partner or an online accountability partner or program or a health coach.
Have you ever thought I just don’t have time to workout, or I just don’t have time to cook?
And I know your busy, I’ve thought these things too. But they come from an all or nothing mentality. You want to have enough time to do the workout you like at the gym or you don’t want to do anything at all.
But how about a 7 minute workout 1-2 times a day? Don’t have time?
10 minutes of yoga when you first wake up?
How about a 5 minute walk outside at lunch time.
Believe it or not these things add up and the more you start to move, the more you feel like moving even more. Grab a fitbit or use my planner HERE to track your exercise as you improve and share your results over in my free facebook group HERE.
Go For Low Hanging Fruit
Yeah there are fancy things you can do to get fit and look fab but if you have been neglecting your health for a while now there are some super simple things you can do regardless of how busy you are that will have the biggest bang for your buck!
- Drink Water – aim for at least half your body weight in ounces of water and carry round a drink bottle at all times to make sure you are drinking throughout the day. Have a glass of water at your desk at all times, you will be amazed at how dehydration can effect you energy levels!
- Add In Greens – is one of the best ways to get the nutrients your body needs but if your finding it hard to get in enough veggies then make sure you are using a high quality greens powder each day (just mix with water, HERE is one I like), take a high quality multi-vitamin and an omega 3 supplement and you’ll notice the difference.
- Get Sleep – Ok OK I know you don’t have time for sleep, so you better make sure that when you do get to sleep it’s good quality sleep even if you can change the quantity. So make sure your room is dark because your skin senses light, and quiet and if you cant turn off your electronic devices at least an hour before heading off to bed then install the app f.lux or get yourself some blue light reduction glasses HERE to help with melatonin production.
- Do Something For Your Gut – take a probiotic, start your day with some hot water and lemon or grab a kombucha to take with you to work.
- Do A Body Check – Set an alarm at 3pm today to do a quick body check in. Are you slouching over at your desk, barely breathing, tensing all your muscles? Take one minute to check in, relax your shoulders and just take a few deep belly breaths before you launch back into your work.
- Swap Just One Coffee With A Green Tea – I’m not saying you have to quit coffee but caffeine and sugar are two of the biggest energy depletes as they send your blood sugar on a crazy ride of highs and lows. Just swap out one of your usual coffees and choose a piece of fruit next time you feel like something sweet.
Outsource, Outsource, Outsource
We often think of outsourcing when it comes to business tasks, not our health or personal lives. But how much is an hour of your time worth? What could you outsource to give you more time to focus on fitness or family?
- Grocery shopping
- Errands such as picking up dry cleaning etc
- Travel planning
- Booking tickets
Instead of a meal delivery service, you could take a meal plan developed for you and hire someone to shop for the groceries required for the meal plan as well as cook the meals for the week and either store them in the fridge or freeze them. You could have packed healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinner for the week, tailored to what you need and this can actually be cheaper than you may think. So there you have it, the top 3 ways to improve work performance (and some bonuses). Start today.
So I would love to hear about your progress over the next 7 days as you take on some of these simple tips to improving your health and your business. Come across to my free facebook group HERE and say hi, ask any questions and meet some likeminded people!
Also don’t forget to download my Weekly Planning Worksheet you can download HERE to plan out your meals, movement & meditation for your most energized and productive week yet!
Want To Get Better Results, In Less Time With More Accountability?
Well to cut out the guess work I have put together a 7 day Clean Living Challenge to help keep you accountable and supported as you get started on your journey. This free 7 day program will help you:
- Learn how to recognize what foods work for you and what foods don’t
- Discover how to destress your body including tips for first time meditators
- Start feeling healthy & happy again with actionable strategies
- Get back into the kitchen with fast, healthy & tasty meal plans
- Progress towards food freedom. No more worrying about what to eat and when. No more willpower required.